Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mortality

A colleague passed away today. He was taken by illness.

It's funny even now I can't really tell for sure what illness it was because he refused to tell us, he refused to make the matter a big deal, and I guess I refused to know too, I figured I'll just ask him when he gets well and come back.

He was my sister's age, 4 years older than me.

What does one do when faced with imminent mortality?

I don't even dare to cry because I didn't know him that well, so who am I to cry when his loved ones must be going through the darkest period of their lives right now, and all they have to show for their sorrows are tears as well?

3 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I wonder if you'd read "tuesdays with Morrie" forgotten the author's name though.

Not everyone can deal with imminent mortality like Morrie, who spent his dying days making a difference. But then when i think back, why must one wait till his/her dying moments to start making a difference?

Anyway, we are all waiting for an imminent mortality, its just that we do not know when it'll strike us, unlike Morrie and your colleague, who has a clearer idea.

It might strike us when we least expect, might be right after i type this, might be another day, another week, another month, only death himself knows when he wants to claim our lives.

so i thought, live your life as if you might die anytime, and when death catches up with you, you can accept it easier and not feel as if you're robbed off. Anyhow you would not know if that is just another part of the whole journey...

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Jess said...

HEy Jason,

It's written by Mitch Albom, and yes I have read the book it helped me through a rough patch in my life and I cried tons after reading it:p

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess

Then we could both write about our thoughts about this book, a worthy blog topic if you'd ask me ;)

life's full of rough patches, we grow as we go through them ;)

take care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home